Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Personal Anecdote 3: Science vs. Magic and The Easy Bake Oven


I woke up this morning to be greeted by Grant Morrison's Pop magic article.

So hooray for that.

Here's a discussion I've been having about science and magic, which is a bit frustrating because I don't inherently see the two as desperateness, or see the need to prove one over the other, and yet it seems like that arguement is being forced into play.

I think it's to my benefit though, because it is sharpening how I explain magic, and there's an extent to which my understanding is increasing as I explain it more. Which I find notable in the sense that I perceive the arguments as being forced into play, while I'm working with THE god of teaching and wisdom. I wouldn't be shocked if this is the old man at work again. Teaching me a few hard lessons in magical humility before the journey kicks off in full.

Tomorrow I'm starting a 24 week ritual to learn the runes. Each week I'll study a new rune. In order to start, I will back a cookie with an icing on'ed rune for that week, and bake that up, and then ingest it. And then for that week I will try and live that rune. Research it, find ways it exists in my life, and so on and so forth. And then after I've done all of the runes, I will be ready to go out and carve some runes of my own to use. I'm very excited. Magic and baking. What more could you want?
As an aside, I was reading another thread somewhere about popculture magic, and most magicians were poopooing the notion because popculture is so un fleshed out. But then I was thinking about my readings on native american gods, and their looney toons embodiments. I don't see any reason why Bugs Bunny or Daffy Duck can't be very powerful gods to work with. Plus you could set up a really fantastic altar.

I want to find the post on barbelith about the magician that is using wrestling heroes from the 80's as his magical pantheon.

No comments:

 
>